Breast 23 hour model
- Back to top
Breast 23 hour surgical pathway
To reduce length of stay from 3 days+ to 23 hours for 80% of breast cancer patients undergoing surgery at Good Hope Hospital.
- Map current pathways for all non reconstruction breast surgery patients.
- Identify areas of improvement (e.g. pre prescribing TTOs, nurse led discharge, admit on day of surgery and drain practice).
- Reduce length of stay so that all eligible patients are discharged within 23 hours of admission (1 night stay or less).
Please click here for the best practice pathway for 23 hour breast surgery
- Standardised inpatient pathway implemented in February 2011 and now fully opperational.
- NHS Improvement audit and patient survey completed from November 2010 to February 2011.
- May 2011 length of stay review demonstrated 100% of mastectomy patients had a one day stay and 90% of breast conserving procedures stayed one day or less.
- NHS Improvement case study published July 2011.
- Seroma/ drain audit analysis due for release January 2012.
- Main workstream now closed.
Please click here for the 23 hour breast patient survey – Good Hope Hospital (HEFT)